Sunday, June 8, 2008

AFSS20 - late entry

Okay, so Allison posted this Burn, baby, burn challenge. And I don't do matches; why, you ask? I dunno. It might be because I'm a Pisces and avoid matches like a plague. Maybe it's 'cause my daughter had an apartment fire in 2006 and lost almost everything she and her family had. So, when I first saw the challenge, I knew: NO matches for me.

So I found a Photoshop tutorial on how to create burnt edges on a project. And I created a little piece of paper with burnt edges. (I couldn't actually complete part of the tutorial; something you can do in full Photoshop, that isn't available in PSE.)

Then I contemplated my "burnt" piece of paper for several days, wondering WHAT I was going to do with this "thing". My inspiration led me back to travel themes and yet ANOTHER travel card. Gee, I've been back from Romania for 2 weeks; don't you think I'd get over it?!?

The "piece" of paper is actually from a download of "paper" from Shimelle's website. After "burning" the edges, I stamped various travel themed stamps on the paper. Since it looked boring all in black and white, I colored with a red marker the word travel on one of the stamps to provide SOME interest on this card. After that the rest of the card came together easily for me.

(BTW, this was the first time that I had actually colored on a stamp with a marker; I know that makes me horribly retarded; and it really was easy!!)

Materials used: cardstock: stash/unknown sources; paper: white printer paper; ink: Colorbox; marker: Marvy Uchida; stamps: Par Avion & republique mexicaine (Hero Arts); suitcase & world map (Inkadinkadoo); travel word (Limited Edition); adhesive: Pioneer mounting tape & pop dots.

Lastly: sorry about the poor photo. I didn't want to dig out the digital SLR, so I just used the digital point and shoot; quality will tell.

As always thanks for looking.


1 comment:

Allison Rankin said...

A terrific interpretation of the challenge Margaret! I like the mix of stamped sentiments that you used in the foreground and background! Plus, that Photoshop tutorial really is the way to go...thanks for playing!