Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Monday Lunchtime Sketch Challenge #37

Another of my September projects which I didn't get a chance to post was (yet) another birthday card for work. Ronda's birthday snuck under the radar; she's new in the office this year and we didn't KNOW that she had the pleasure(pain) of another birthday until the happy date had passed.


So with my usual (about 1 night) notice I had the pleasure of making another birthday card. And, hey, since MaryJo makes such great sketches, it just seemed serendipitous to use her sketch for the needed birthday card.

I thought that I would post the sketch along with my interpretation of it, because of MaryJo's watermark. Many of her sketches not only have her name on them, but also the butterfly image. (I have to confess the first time that I saw one of her sketches, I thought that the butterfly was PART of the sketch!!)




So, for this card, I decided to VERY faithfully follow the sketch, and I INCLUDED the butterfly as well.


I die cut and embossed the butterfly shape with a new Cuttlebug die set that I had purchased at Roberts in Ogden, when we were out in Utah on vacation in August. The shape is cut out of an Amaco Artemboss sheet of metal. The black circle below the butterfly is also cut out of Artemboss, then run through the Cuttlebug script embossing folder to give it some character.

Here's the whole/completed card. The oval for the sentiment is the first design item that I cut using the (then, new to me) oval Nesties.

Materials:
cardstock (Bazzill); designer paper (Basic Grey); metal (Amaco); stamp (Studio G); ink (Colorbox); embossing powder (Stampendous); dies/embossing (Nestabilities, Cuttlebug).

I'm grateful to the online community for all the wonderful inspiration that is made available to share. I'm always so happy when I find a sketch that inspires me to make something that I can share with the people in my life. I know that my friends & co-workers enjoy these cards and I know that I owe a big thanks to the many sketch designers out there in the blogosphere who share so graciously of their talents. Thanks MaryJo specifically for this design.

Thanks to all who take the time to look here.

5 comments:

MJ said...

Beautiful! That butterfly is stunning in the metal. Love the whole card. Hope you are feeling much better. Thanks for playing along.

Elena said...

Gorgeous card! Love the butterfly! So beautiful! Glad to see you cards back!

MommyToBees said...

Ohoo, that is sooo pretty!!

WTG mom!!

Kris

Mari said...

I thought I'd drop by to see your blog (thanks for dropping in to see mine! :) to see what lovely things you have here. I *love* that you did the butterfly in metal! Most people are making them lighter & lighter - finally a unique take on it!
Great inspiration... maybe I'll try metal flowers.... :D

Anonymous said...

Love your card. I've been playing with some metal embossing and you just gave me another great idea for it.