Sunday, July 19, 2009

Happy Birthday, Cupcake

So the thing is..... I like making birthday cards; I really do.  I've just never gotten on the whole cupcake bandwagon thing.  I don't own any cupcake image stamps.  It's NOT that I don't like cupcakes.  I'm not sure there's a form of cake that I don't like, but.......  I've just not had any inclination to make any cards with cupcakes.  

But as you might be able to tell, there's a first time for everything.  I found these stamps.  Too cute.  And I needed to make a birthday card for my one male co-worker.  (Public health nutrition is pretty much a women's ghetto, with a few cheerful exceptions.)  So...... I went searching at Splitcoast and found this.  Glitter gal made such a cute card and even uploaded the template that she made, so....... there's a first time for everything.

I stamped the candles from Hero Arts twice; once in black ink on colored cardstock and once in black Staz-on on transparency film.  In the first photo below you can almost see the two layers of the candles; the flames are the same, except they were stamped with Versamark, then clear embossed.


In the second photo you can see the shadow of the little tiny bit of clear transparency film that connects each candle to its flame.  The embossing on the green candle really caught the light from the camera flash; it looks a LOT better above.


The body of the card was cut from metallic cardstock that I've had in my stash for more than 6 or 7 years. The lines in the bottom of the cupcake were embossed using my Scor-Pal.  The top was cut from Stampin' Up white cardstock.  I had thought that I was going to stamp and clear emboss on the cupcake top, but ended up just running it through the Cuttlebug.  I stamped the happy birthday sentiment from the Hero Arts stamp set on the inside of the card and I think for a guy, I'm done!  Of course now there's the dilemna of: the envelope!

Materials: metallic & colored cardstocks (stash, sources unknown), white cardstock (Stampin' Up), transparency film (Hewlett-Packard); stamps (Hero Arts); ink: black (Colorbox), black (Staz-On), clear (Versamark); embossing powder (Stampendous); marker (Marvy Uchida); tools (Scor-Pal & Cuttlebug D'vine Swirls folder); adhesive (pop-dots & Pioneer mounting tape).

Thanks as always for taking a look at my work.

No comments: